Friday, January 1, 2016

Ten Commandments

 (A modern indigenous rendering of Exodus 20:1-17 by Dr JR Norwood)



I am the Creator, the Great Almighty Spirit [1] who delivered you through the conquest of your land and thwarted the terrors of genocide. I have stood you up well and preserved the Nanticoke-Lenape as a people.

  1. I alone am the one you worship. You shall have no other gods.

2.   You shall not carve or shape anything in all creation to bow before it and worship it.  You shall not worship any likeness of the creatures of the sky or the land or the waters. I will not share my glory with another. I will punish many generations of those who dishonor me.  I will be good to all the generations of those who honor me and walk in a good way as I have spoken.

3.   You shall only speak of me with respect and honor.  Those who dishonor me will feel my anger.

4.   You shall not fail to rest from labor and come together on the weekly day of gathering for prayer. Honor and respect that day, for I have honored it from the beginning of all things and made it sacred.  

5.   Show respect for your mother and father and all the generations before you and do not dishonor them so that your days and your territory will be blessed.

6.  You shall not murder.

7.  You shall not be unfaithful to your spouse.

8.  You shall not steal.

9.  You shall not lie about another person.

10. You shall not desire to have another person’s lodge, or spouse, or anything that belongs to another.
----------------------------------------
[1] “Ketanetuwit” in the Unami Dialect of Lenape