Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Chief's Reflection on Prayer


by Chief Mark Gould

Prayer has gotten us this far and prayer is going to take us all the way. That’s what I would like to talk about. 

To my recollection I should have crossed over four times. I’ve done some things in my life good and bad and life owes me nothing, but I finally realized thirty nine years ago that the Creator had a purpose for me... sometimes we all need a reminder of his overwhelming presence.  September 1997, I almost crossed over. This was not my fear. It was a strange happening because l I worried that my work was not complete. You make the assessment... 

Jim Tobias and eleven others from Moravaintown Ontario came to pray for me and to share traditions with our Tribal families.  At seventy one years old I reflect not only that the Creator kept me safe, but the instruments he used to keep me secure. 

When they came there were eleven, when they left there were sixteen. It was the most wonderful time being sick.  You don’t know what you need but God does. He gives you what is necessary. You don’t know what Prayer does until you see it for yourself. Being Tribal Chief has given me the privilege of seeing many of our family healed through Prayer.

For many years I thought that my prayers were insignificant because I didn’t have a beautiful vocabulary. I finally found that the Creator was personal and I didn’t need to be anyone other than myself. I still have a problem asking for more than protection for our families, but I sure do thank him a lot. So in closing, if someone asks you for prayer, please do it works.