Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mixed Feelings on Thanksgiving

by Chief Mark Gould

I have very mixed emotions about Thanksgiving... and so should we all. 

The Native people that survived here on the east coast have more than the stories of the Wampanoag. It is the only story that has been published and it should and needs to be told. This has absolutely nothing to do with our celebrating Thanksgiving. I have two days off.  What am I supposed to do? Reflecting on the atrocities of those that humiliated my ancestors does not give me the peace that as Native people need to survive and ensure that the next seven generations have an easier life as they did for us.

Thanksgiving should be just that. We give thanks every day. On certain days some set by us and some set by non-Natives. The timing is irrelevant, but what we do with it is very important. To be able on this day to reflect on how our ancestors humbled themselves that we may live a much better life.  The lifestyle of our past generations has protected and prepared us. Now it is our responsibility. 


Tradition can be summed up with two words Love and Respect. In my early years I was protected from the tragedies from the past. We spent our Thanksgiving reflecting on God’s gifts and not the sacrifices made. I am Christian, but I  spend the day with some who are not, and do give thanks for them also. Family, and the blessings that family brings into our lives, are a reason for great thanksgiving. I have been blessed, we all have been blessed.

I’m not going too far with this, but think about your life in comparison to others. I think we all have a life to give thanks for. To keep it short I was surrounded by family that taught me how to survive and compete... my behavior was another thing it took a whole village. Thank God the village was there.

Thanksgiving should be a day of joy and reflection. Share your blessings with your children, share the stories that have been passed down. They should know what it took for them to have the lifestyle that have.

I am thankful